Monday 1 April 2013

Flying solo - Bondi

I expect the title of this post will initially startle those who follow my blog so I will write a hasty explanation...

A month and a half into our wonderful Stubbo farming adventure, Luke and I discussed the possibility of my doing a little solo trip up the east coast of NSW.
Since my teens I have always aspired to travel solo. I imagined it to be a very freeing and independent experience, waking up each morning and making nothing but selfish decisions. Looking after one person's interests alone - mine! After all, we are in charge of our own happiness.
Whilst I was never quite able to make the leap of faith on my own, instead choosing to come out here with my rock, (ironic pseudonym for a geologist?) we agreed that now would be a great time to have a little sample.
Luke is remaining on Stubbo farm whilst I do a short expedition from Bondi to Byron, via Newcastle, Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour.

My return to Sydney felt interestingly nostalgic. Tim, Jess, Luke and myself all came down for the night on Wednesday. Jess had to visit the doctors and we were treated to a wonderful two day break whilst they were down for her appointment. It's a good three and a half hour drive to Sydney from Gulgong. We stayed in Darling Harbour at the Sheraton and dined out in the harbour. The next day we went to The Royal Easter Show at the Olympic Park. The park is filled with rides, food stalls, art and lots of prize livestock. We loved the nursery with all the little kids (of the baby goat variety) and lambs running around. Luke bought me a cup of straw to feed them, only to have a sheep make a beeline toward me and knock it out of my hand within seconds. Go pick on someone your own size, Shaun!
After a fab day out and an emotional goodbye - Tim, Jess and Luke left me at the park to make my way to Bondi by train.
I booked in at Surfside Backpackers en route over the phone and arrived there around 7pm. Perfect timing for my dinner of Thai, which I had been craving for a couple of weeks!
After dinner I made arrangements to meet with my friend Natalia for a walk and breaky the next day, only to find out that during our month and a half farm sabbatical, her partner and our good friend Drew had moved out of his parents and was in fact living three doors down. A very handy twist of fate!

Bondi pool. Photo courtesy of Natal.
Natalia and I enjoyed a beautiful walk to Bronte, where I called in on the Bogey Hole Cafe to name drop a rather interesting person we had met a few days beforehand. Sub-note: Luke lent a helping hand at the airstrip next to Bruce's farm for the day on Tuesday last week. Not only does it arise that the airstrip is home to Australia's national handgliding competition, but also, that the inventor of handgliders himself, Bill Moyes, is a regular visitor. Luke met Bill and also Bob Bailey, who is the inventor of an ultralite plane called a Dragonfly. To thank him for his help, we were rewarded with flights with Bob himself. Words truly cannot do justice for the experience. The Dragonfly lifts off seconds into the runway, it climbs faster vertically than a helicopter - I imagine, I don't actually have the statistics - turns, loops, stalls, swoops and glides, just like a dragonfly with two people perched in it's open cockpit. Bob spotted kangaroos and dived down. We flew over the paddock literally next to the hopping kangaroos. We would have been able to touch them if it weren't for the slight obstacle of wings either side of us. So, with this incredible experience under our wing, pun intended, Bill suggested dropping in on his granddaughter's cafe in Bronte, just a few doors down from where he lives and saying hello. So I did! Small world.


On my return to Bondi I was shown tremendous hospitality by Harry and Drew, who had me to stay and by Drew's family. I was kindly invited over for dinner by his mother on Friday night, which is also where Luke and I celebrated New Years and our previous 'leaving Sydney dinner'. We all went over again last night, for a second 'leaving Sydney dinner'. Thanks for feeding a hungry traveller!

On Saturday and Sunday I wondered around the markets and Bondi's backstreets. I took a saunter up to the Junction and bought a few much needed tops to replace my holey ones and lounged without the concept of time on the beach, reading. My return to Bondi was relaxing, reminiscent and all teamed with great association.

No comments:

Post a Comment